Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Man With a Plan Gets Fired: General Stan McChrystal Fired by President Obama



Good day to you fellow citizens. Today I went to the beach and barely had anytime time to check the news. If I had checked the news, I would have learned about the outcome of the comments made by General Stanley McChrystal about the Obama administration and other key political figures in a Rolling Stones article. Now, as a citizen, I have no official political stance (left wing or right wing, conservative or liberal) and as a person I go with what I think is right as I am free to do so. Anyway, let's stay on topic here. In a Rolling Stones article published on I believe June 22, 2010 (readers please confirm that), General McChrystal made a few comments about the Obama administration which I'll admit, was a tad bit offensive. However, I don't believe that the President has made the right choice in ordering General McChrystal to step down from his role as supreme commander of allied forces in Afghanistan. Now first of all, I criticize McChrystal for even saying things like that to a reporter. Personally I feel as though if hold certain feeling about something and you are of that great amount of importance, then you should never let them those feeling leave your mouth...around a reporter. A reporter's job and livelihood is reporting what he or she sees and hears, especially from important people such as the commander of allied forces in Afghanistan where a major war is raging. Now to more important part. I dont believe that Obama should have made this man step down or do anything to lead to it. Yes, I totally understand that as Commander-in-Chief you cannot tolerate a top official saying things like that publicly. However, you're letting your personal feelings cause you to trade a very talented military commander and strategist for another who is not capable of handling the situation. I intend no offense to General Petraeus, the man who'll be taking over McChrystal's role, however Petraeus served in Iraq and in my opinion he did a very good job. Also, McChrystal served in Afghanistan and up until his termination was doing a very good job handling the situation. The bottom line is this; IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN ARE TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT PLACES AND TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT SITUATIONS. Petraeus' efforts are needed elsewhere and I feel as if firing McChrystal could literally come back to bite country in the A**. When I say that what I mean exactly is that this country will literally lose out in the sense of the tactical and strategic ability that General McChrystal brings to the table. I play sports for my school but I dont indulge in them like other people do, however, if your team is struggling in a game that they absolutely need to win and you have a someone who isnt exactly a team player but very effective, you put him in regardless of if he bad mouths the coach. Also, on another personal note, I am seriouslybeginning to consider some of the rumors that are floating around out there that Obama is actually afraid of McChrystal because he used to be a "spook". A spook is someone wwho usually works for the government in clasndestine or otherwise black ops missions. These kinds of people are often referred to as spooks because they are usually very dark and secretive, and sometimes even deadly. But anyway, I'm not going to go into detail about my opinions as I am not exactly sure this blog has enough webspace to hold what I have to say. So I leave you with this statement for you to think on it and formulate your own opinion. If you have something to share just comment the posts and I'll get back to you aas soon as possible. Have a blessed day.

No comments: